What Are Grow Cubes?
Grow cubes and grow blocks are two types of common grow media. Grow cubes and starter blocks are sometimes understood as a type of smaller starter grow media, while the larger grow blocks are typically used for established younger plants that simply need more room to expand their root zone for future growth.
Grow cubes typically come in a variety of sizes for different growth applications across the industry, making it easier for some growers to be able to either start a new plant or to transplant a seed or sprout from a starter media into either a grow cube or starter block with ease.
High Quality Grow Cubes vs. Low Quality Grow Cubes-
Similar to other markets, grow cubes are offered by different manufacturers, with each manufacturing different products or product lines at differing quality scales. As an example, some grow block manufacturers of stonewool grow media may use unclean raw materials or use more “filler” during the manufacturing process, which ultimately leads to a lower quality product. As these are just a couple of examples of what could contribute to or exemplify a low quality stonewool grow media product, there are actually many other important factors to take into consideration before making a final decision on a product to use.
What to Look for in a High Quality Grow Cube?
- Source of raw materials
- Where the product is manufactured (in some cases)
- Weight of the grow cube
- The weave pattern of the grow cube.
- Water retention properties
- Aeration properties
- Root zone development properties
- Natural pH and EC properties
- Plant nutrient uptake
- Grow cube protective outer layer
The above list covers some of the more important criteria and characteristics that a commercial or industrial cultivator should look for in a high quality grow cube. Taking the time to conduct some research on both the manufacturer and the manufacturers’ grow media products can also further help with making the best decision in regards to selecting a high quality grow cube product.
Types of Plants that Can Grow in Stonewool Grow Media-
- Fruits- strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, grapes, passion fruit, watermelon, cantaloupe, grow exotic fruits, small fruit trees, cocktail trees, and dwarf fruit trees.
- Flowers- Roses, Gerberas, Cuttings, amaryllis, baby’s breath, carnations, chrysanthemums, daisies, dahlias, echinacea, freesia, gerberas, herbs, hoya, Iris,marigolds, orchids, peace lilies, petunias, rex begonias,, roses, snapdragons, sunflowers, zinnia…
- Vegetables that grow in stonewool- artichokes, beans, different types of lettuces, swiss chard, spinach and baby spinach, cabbage, beets, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, tomatoes, green peppers, hot peppers, eggplants, cucumbers, green beans, squash(need extra room)Brussels sprouts and different types of peas and snow snaps, small carrots, onions, leeks, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, yams and radishes, and more.
- Some herbs that grow well in a hydroponic system with stonewool starter plugs or starter cubes are- anise, basil, catnip, chamomile, chervil, chives, cilantro, coriander, common sage, dill, fennel, lavender, lemon balm, marjoram, mint, oregano, parsley, rocket, rosemary, sage, tarragon and thyme, watercress, etc.
RedRock Block’s Premium Stonewool Grow Media for Commercial and Industrial Cultivators
With RedRock Block, commercial and industrial cultivators no longer need to worry about purchasing low quality stonewool. RedRock Block sources all of their raw material, manufactures all of their high quality stonewool grow media products in North America, and now barcodes their products for traceability and transparency. RedRock Block provides professional cultivators with a complete line of stonewool grow media products that can be used from seed to harvest.
Some of these products include stonewool starter plugs, stonewool starter trays in different sizes, stonewool starter cubes in multiple sizes, stonewool grow blocks in multiple sizes, solo stonewool grow slabs, and stonewool multi-plant grow slabs.
In need of “rock-solid” sourcing of wholesale stonewool grow media for your commercial or industrial grow operation? Call- 1-310-967-2025 for pricing or visit- https://www.redrockblock.com/shop/